Things to do
Explore the temperate rainforest, rugged beaches and history on the West Coast
The town of Hokitika occupies a spectacular location in the heart of New Zealand’s famous West Coast. This region has a long and fascinating history as an ancient source of pounamu (greenstone) for Maori and as the site of a major Nineteenth Century gold rush. Today, it is famous for its art galleries and craft studios, its spectacular hiking trails through lush native rainforest, its pristine lakes and wild beaches, its precious New Zealand wildlife and its warm West Coast hospitality.
West Coast weather – live webcam
It is true that the West Coast is a temperate rainforest but that doesn´t mean it rains all the time … just that when it rains, it pours! New Zealand’s West Coast often enjoys beautiful sunny days, especially in the winter months when there fresh snow on the mountains and not a cloud in the sky.
Take a tour of the local sights
Visit these websites for more information
Things to do in Hokitika
Some outstanding local attractions to enjoy during your stay at Beachfront Hotel include:
- Heritage walk and museums.
- Visit the stunning Hokitika Gorge.
- One of NZ’s most advanced movie theatres with 3D. See movie schedules for the Hokitika Regent.
- 18-hole links golf course (gear hire available).
- Mountain biking (bike hire available).
- Fishing, whitebaiting and hunting (gear hire available).
- Boating on Lakes Mahinapua and Kaniere.
- Artisan gallery shopping, including Juergen Schacke’s Wilderness Gallery. His images feature throughout Beachfront Hotel.
- Target and clay shooting with Cowboy Paradise.
- Tours with Kea Heritage Tours.
- Scenic flights to Mt Cook & Milford Sound with Wilderness Wings.
- Rafting wild West Coast rivers with Ecorafting.
- Westcoast Treetop Walk. www.treetopsnz.com
West Coast Wilderness Trail